Job Title: Accountant
Location: Savannah, GA
Status: Full-Time / Salaried
Under general supervision and in accordance with established accounting procedures, guidelines and practices and agency policies and procedures, performs paraprofessional accounting and fiscal control functions, such as accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll preparation, budget monitoring/preparation or related general accounting. Reviews, codes, and posts transactions, balances and reconciles accounting records and prepares reports. May conduct quality assurance reviews and assist auditors. May supervise or monitor the daily work of clerical or related staff and/or perform a limited number of clerical duties.
· Applies GAAP, state or federal fiscal guidelines, and agency policies to establish tables/records of accounts or financial transactions, review financial data, and assign entries or apply accounting control measures to proper accounts
- Correctly applies various accounting theories according to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards, applicable state and federal guidelines and agency fiscal policies and procedures.
- Carefully reviews documentation, entries and reports for accuracy and completeness.
- Accurately and completely records financial transactions according to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Reviews and analyzes general ledger accounts accurately for fiscal integrity as well as compliance with applicable principles, standards, guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Corrects general ledger accounts based on timely recognition of problems and accurate identification of required adjustments.
- Coordinates work with colleagues to provide accurate and meaningful financial information in a timely manner.
· Records or directs the recording of financial transactions, such as expenditure documents, revenue receipts and payroll actions into journals, ledgers and/or automated accounting systems. Categorizes income and/or expenditures into accounts and resolves recording errors. (Performed by all incumbents)
· Balances and reconciles accounting records, such as journals, ledgers, batch reports, bank statements, payroll documents, agency-generated reports or related records. Determines sources of errors by researching accounting records. Records correcting entries.
· Oversees or participates in the compilation of data and prepares standard accounting reports.
· Receives, controls and records cash/check receipts. May enter account data. Determines accounts receivable or revenue state chart of accounts to be credited.
· Maintains accounting file information.
· Prepares, processes balances and verifies payroll.
· Provides support to auditors and other reviewers. Identifies and corrects procedural problems revealed in reviews and audits. May perform quality assurance reviews of work in the section.
· Supervises or leads clerical, paraprofessional or other staff.
· Serves as liaison in responding to inquiries to solve routine accounting problems or for information/interpretation from third parties such as managers, banks, auditors, vendors and governmental entities
· Identifies training needs, providing guidance and training to less experienced staff.
· Demonstrates knowledge of PC-based software applications.
Ö Abila MIP Financials Ö Abila MIP Payroll Ö Abila Human Resources
Ö Microsoft Word Ö Microsoft Excel Ö Banking Software
· Creates and maintains a high performance environment characterized by positive leadership and a strong team orientation.
· Maintains knowledge of current policies and procedures by reading memos, notices, and other literature and attending training sessions, meetings and conferences.
· Demonstrates the ability to communicate effectively with the following population(s):
__Adult __MR/DD __MH __SA
__Youth __MR/DD __MH __SA
Completion of a bachelor’s degree with major in accounting from an accredited college or university AND One year of professional accounting experience OR Completion of a bachelor’s degree in a business curriculum which included completion of introductory and intermediate accounting sequence AND One year of professional accounting experience OR Completion of a master’s degree in accounting Note: Some positions may require certifications.